|This view of Cragwood, painted by noted artist Felix Kelly, 1917-1994, was not included in the auction.|
|Mrs Charles (Jane) Engelhard in a 1949 photo by Horst.|
|Mr & Mrs Charles Engelhard in the Library of their home, Cragwood.|
|The Hochst model of a horse, circa 1755, 8 3/4" wide and 6 1/8" high, brought $132,000 at auction. More furnishings from Cragwood will be featured in a future post as Cragwood, Part II.|
|While there was no identification for this photo, it may have been taken on the occasion of the second Inaugeration of Lyndon B. Johnson on January 20, 1965.|
The Englehards supported numerous humanitarian and benevolent causes, not only in the United States, but in the United Kingdom and South Africa as well. Jane was notably a supporter of the White House restoration and a Board Member of the Metropolitan Museum of Art which benefited from the gift of the Engelhard Court at the entrance to the American Wing. The Charles Englehard Foundation, headed by Jane after his death and then by their daughters, still provides funding to a wide range of causes, from education and medical research to cultural institutions and wildlife conservation organizations.
When Mrs. Engelhard moved to Nantucket, Massachusetts in 1990, Cragwood was sold to Lyndall and John E. Bailye, the chief executive of Endrite International, a pharmaceutical sales analysis and marketing company. Parish-Hadley alumni Bunny Williams designed the interiors and Madison Cox further developed the gardens for the new owners.